12 January 2015

Getting your first TATTOO! My recommended tattoo artists.

Hello everybuddeh!

Do you have a tattoo? Are you planning on getting one? Is it your first time? Then you're in the right place! Haha! I'm gonna do a simple guide based on my experiences on getting tattoos and what should you do when getting one.

Having a tattoo doesn't make you a member of a Mafia group, doesn't make you an evil person, doesn't make you a murderer. Tattoo is just a body modification done by inserting indelible ink into dermis layer of your skin to change the pigment. Two words, ART and SCIENCE. I personally have 8 tattoos on my body and those tattoos are very very visible and huge. That doesn't mean I can't earn as much doctors or pilots can :)

I got my first tattoo when I was 15. Hell, my dad was furious when I got home with a tattoo on my back! We didn't talk to each other for a month. Well, I guess I was too young to think of the consequences because it was all about fun. I regret getting only 1 when I was 15. I should have done more haha! As years go by, I added another and another and another. I love each and every one of them as they have meanings of their own.

If you're planning on getting your first tattoo, here's what you should do:

  • Pick the right time to do it. Do not do it if you're gonna be exposed to sun or water (submersion)  a week after the tattoo is done. You gotta give it more time to heal say 2 weeks
  • Choose the right design. It could be portraits, geometrical, maori, tribal, calligraphic and so on. You can go to your chosen tattoo artist to request for a design. 
  • Choose the right spot. Think twice before getting a tattoo on a visible part of your body. Remember, your body is a canvas and it is freaking huge. If you're doing sales job for example, do it on the back of your body so that it won't be very visible to your clients. Closed minded people judge by what they see, f*ck em.
  • Meaningful. Do it for a reason or else you'll find it "pointless" years later. For instance, I have tattoos of both Nasty and Happy and there's no way I'm gonna regret it.
  • Ask around. I've had one incident where I did a tattoo on the spot without checking much about the artist's background and he caused my tattoo to be "blown-out" and fucked it up but I'm fine with it. It was my mistake. So, don't do the same mistake I did.
  • Do it! Nuff' said. :) Don't be afraid to go back for touch-ups. Be sure to take good care of your new tattoo. 
Here are three of my tattoos, Nasty, Happy and an Ukulele! 

Done by Bobby James

Done by Pip Lubasi




























Done by Ronny, Ignore the leg hair :/













**If you're wishing for cheap tattoos, go ahead but don't blame anyone if you get crap out of it. Remember, they spent years of training and improving in what they do. So they charge you with what they think is reasonable. 


I have 3 artists I trust with my life. When the session starts, all I have to do is relax and chill. And when it is done, taddaaaa! I feel euphoric.

Mind you, I've got tattoos from them and my recommendations are purely based on the results they produce on my body as well as their portfolio.

  1. St James Tattoo (Bobby James)

  • He got his first tattoo the same age I got mine, 15. He wasn't scared at all. 
  • How did he got himself in this industry and what inspired him? According to Bobby, he just likes to draw since he was 7 years old. He'll just do whatever he wanted to do and what makes him feel comfortable.
  • What's the best tattoo you've had up to now? His reply was hilarious! "It would be the ones done by my friends when they were still 'beginners' although most of the tattoos look shitty" Haha!
  • 10 years of professional tattooing has got him hooked up with new friendships and their trusts ranging from lawyer to mechanics.  
  • He aims for public to understand more on how to know that a tattooist is good and which is bad. He has had a lot of customers going like "WOW SO EXPENSIVE!" but seriously, you're buying his work that require years of experiences and he is only charging you what he think his art is worth.
  • Were you nervous when you had your first customer? "What's there to be afraid of? Its a start of my career!"
  • His advice to first timers, "Make sure you know what you want. Do some research and not asking tattooist on what you should get because it is your life, so do what you want!
Be sure to check out St James Tattoo's Facebook page to check out his artwork and get in contact with him! His artworks are undeniably awesome!



     2. Jesselton Tattoo and Gallery (Pip Lubasi)



  • Pip did his first tattoo when he was 17. It was quite fun for him because he was curious on how tattoos were done. It was done by a friend of his using stitching needles and mechanical pen ink for the tattoo pigments. It is a common and cheap method back in those days.
  • He got into this industry by meddling with his home-made tattoo machine. He tattooed his uncle and cousin as well as his own skin for fun. until he landed a job as a tattooist in Taboo Ink Tattoo Studio in Kuala Lumpur back in 2005.
  • He has patches of tattoos all over his body as he collects them from various friends around the world that he trusts. According to Pip, "I wish to have a back piece tattoo". 
  • Pip said, "Since I became a tattoo artist, I've joined a few tattoo conventions around Asia and Europe. I've only won once, 2nd place for best tattoo of the day in Dutdutan, Philippines in 2007. Clients' satisfaction makes me happy each time they get a tattoo from me"
  • Pip's advice for first timer, "Choosing the perfect tattoo design is more important than choosing the size and DO NOT tattoo your boyfriend's/girlfriend's name permanently LOL!"



3. Passion Of Ink (Ronny Taptoe)



  • As common as it seems, Ronny got his first tattoo when he was 17. He wasn't scared but instead he was excited about it.
  • He was inspired by his first tattooist as well as friends who are into tattoos.
  • Most of his tattoos were done when he was young. He has tons of tattoos and his favourite is the portrait tattoo of his wife and a few skull tattoos on his leg and neck. 
  • His advice to you first timers out there, "Do what you wanna do while you're still young so you have stories to tell when you're older".


If you're thinking of getting a tattoo, STOP THINKING. Do it! :)

Thank you guys for supporting! As always, be nasty stay happy! We'll be posting stuffs on our site twice or three times a week yea.

Love, Nath.





1 comment:

Tell us your thoughts :)